Saturday, October 17, 2015

The Day Has Come

I got here at 6:30 to clean the area, set up and think about the week.
 
There can be no question, the location is terrific. Gail Stiffelman does a great job, and stays in the background, but it seems to come off flawlessly. I assume there are problems we don't know about, but generally it seems like everything works.
 
Last night was a bit strained.  We had a free dinner, and it was a good one. Meat ball, pasta, salad and garlic bread, and they served it buffet so everyone got to eat.  Then the surprise, the ten top dogs in the country. Tommy was very popular, (Maturity winner) at number three, and of course Rumor Has It for number one German Shepherd and number one for all breeds. I know it means a lot of wins at all-breed shows, and a whole lot of shows, but still an impressive win.
 
The presentation was a problem as we couldn't see the dogs. Lew Bunch read the names, and again, the sound system is not what we need. But we knew who they were. They tried a spot light, but when they turned the lights down, you couldn't see anything. Then they tried to blink the lights and that was just annoying.  The spot light was on the wrong side,but it didn't matter, we knew who it was.
 
It was a long time getting the Parade of Greats going, and I was exhausted so we left. I never got to see the "Free Range Dogs" on Friday night, but not one missed me.
 
This morning all I can hear is blow dryers.  The Freenys were here when I got here and I heard how hard it was to get here with a dog.  I just won't try to bring a dog to St. Louis, but others sure did. Over 100 Specials entered today.
 
I met some new friends, one of them Lizeth Aber is going to help donate for Juniors, so that is a BFF for me.  No one is here that I can see, but I sure hear they are getting ready.
 
I did arrange for Molly to  help me and spot who is in the ring as when I do Specials I don't look up much so I can get you what is going on. I may skip the show next year. It is a lot of work, and I never did enjoy watching. I would rather be in the ring, and that is out because of my age.  I like seeing all my friends, but I never got to talk to Jane Kerner, Jeff Mobeus or Pam Stosser. Dave and Martha Rinke said hello, but that was about it.  I gave Dave a new book, The Martian, and I haven't even asked if he enjoyed it.  I like to talk to people, but things moved so quickly this week, all I did was announce and type.  I got to talk to Tammy for a bit, but not as much as I would like.
 
They put Fred Migliore in front of us for the shows. He is in hospice care now for congestive heart problems, and I was told he was told if he did come to the show, it would kill him. But here he is. He is very thin, quite weak, but I saw him smile a lot. Years ago Fred told me never to talk to him again, and I honored that. I never did know what it was,but since he was 2,000 miles away, it was not a problem. But, Fred always has been a great person with a tremendous sense of humor. I did congratulate him when his dogs went Grand Victor and Grand Victrix.  He heard me and thanked me. I told him yesterday that I never stopped considering him a friend even if he was mad at me, and I was so pleased to see him. That was one of his smiles.  I guess at the end of our lives, being at the National might be one of the best things to do.
 
Gary Szymzyk is here now talking to the person doing the filming. I watched some of the tape, and if ;you weren't here, or even if you were, you should order them. I miss Bobbie, but they sure know how to film a dog show.
 
Tony is here and so is Patty Szymzyk.  I bought candy for each day, and at $60 a day, this is starting to be a lost tradition.  If I don't come next year, Bob (The Voice of The National), Dresher can buy the candy.
 
You should order your video here at the show for a discount.  And, as I said, it is a great job. While I miss Bobbie, we will have a good record of this years.
 
More people coming in now, and it is time to get ready to Rock and Roll. Tony only brought one bag of candy so that should take up through the check-in.  I am anxious to see how EXXON does, his owners are as nice as any people you can meet. I will be back.