Saturday, October 16, 2021

And now, it begins

And Here we are again. This is the big day, the main show, the big cahuna, The beginning of the end, the celebration of the breed, and I get to be here. It was 43 outside, and cold in here.

Helen Gleason took me to dinner last night. It was the best Italian restraurant I have ever eaten at.  It was going to be the three of us, Helen has a woman from Iowa with her, and a man and his daughter joined us and Adriana, a young woman from Denver who is at her first National came with us.  I saw Art Sinclair, Bill Peterson, Mike and Kris at another table as we were leaving I got to talk to Frank Fasano, and at the door, Lew Bunch. All my rowdy have come out today. 

Lew Bunch just stopped by to tell me he is about to read the names of who passed away, and ring the bell. I used to leave the arena when he did that. Then I used to wear sun glasses, now, hell, I just let the tears flow. It isn't good for my image, but now I am old enough everyone just looks at me and laughs.

Zack stopped by. He has a new jacket, very Western. He says Lindsay dresses him.  I told him she has great taste except in husbands.  Canada Jack is in his booth, and Al Martin had breakfast with me He reminded me when he was a kid and used to come in the ring and handle with me.

Other than those few, the place is empty, and quiet. I appreciate that. there ae some unhappy dog sounds, and I am anxious to get back home and spend time with Kierk.  At night Kierk waits for me to go to sleep and he gets up on the bed, puts his head on my chest and sleeps the night.  I have spent four nights in a motel alone, and I am ready to leave. I have a 6:00 am flight and the Dollar Rental opens at 6:00. I called to ask what to do, and then said just drop off my  car when they open and they will take me to the airport.  Folks in the Mid West don't understand distances  like we do in California.  I won't worry about it until I get there tomorrow and figure it out then,

I see Carl Anderson is now here. Tim, the video man is working his tail off. He works harder than anyone else to make this work, I hope you are enjoying it. What a project it is to bring this to everyone.

Ten to eight, and now people are showing up.

I just had a long talk with Jimmy and found out what is going on.  He is suspended for a year, but will be eligible 
 to judge our National a few days after he is reinstated.  I got the full story, but I will leave it to him to tell.  I have always found Mr. Moses to be a good friend and a credit to our breed, and am pleased to know him.

A lot of people getting ready to check in. The Judge, here come the judge, (you young people have no idea what I am talking about), said she wants them all to check in, then she will judge the bitches first, then the dogs.  It is going to be a long day.

Ben just walked by and I do feel the excitement in the air. De De just came by, and I am ready to start.  But, it isn't up to me. 

Tedi sent me a picture of Kierk on our bed looking for me.  One more day to go. Monday I have to prepare for a deposition on a medical mal-practice case, so I need to get to the office and get to work. When I am gone a week, I am often a month behind.

I will send this, and start the real show posts next!