Monday, October 18, 2021

2021 National

I always like to finish the National with my impressions.
 
This was another fun year. It was marred by not having Tedi to tell me what I wanted to do, but there were so many highlights I can't express them all.
 
It was an interesting adventure to sit with Bob, (the voice of the national) all week. He was so on edge with his entries, but having Martha there made all the difference. Then in Specials his dog led for most of the show, but ended us Number Two Select, which is a great honor for an exceptional dog.
 
A highlight for me was the Leslie Dancosse award.  Evidently Tedi knew I was going to get it, but never told me. That is what happens after 53 years of marriage.  I always admired and respected Leslie and considered her a friend. To be recognized for trying to help others made me feel great, and I appreciate the recognition.
 
Going home was a real adventure. My car had to be returned to the Dollar Rent a Car lot before they opened. I got up at 3:00 am and headed to the airport. So I did find the general parking lot took a ticket and pulled in. Then I could not find out where to drop off the car. The shuttle driver led me to the  lot and told me to exit the parking lot, and come around to the Dollar Drop Off Location. When I went to exit, they  would not let me out without a ticket, (which somehow I had lost). So, I just let the car and went to the terminal. I told the shuttle driver that as an attorney they could fight with me after I got home.
 
Then the flight was late leaving St. Louis. So, I missed my  connecting flight to Orange County. There are four airports in Los Angeles I could go to, and I picked Ontario. I had Tedi pick me up there. They were offering $900.00 for someone to give up their seat and leave four hours later.  I considered it, but decided not to take it, as I was exhausted. I got into Ontario to find they sent my luggage to Orange County. They delivered it last night at 11:30.  This morning I had a bunch of emails saying my flight was delayed, I could re-book another flight, they had changed my seat, etc.
 
I thought it was a great National. Some fantastic dogs, a lot of my old friends and some new one's too. California did well, and of course I do so enjoy seeing Bob Dresser and Martha, now together. Helen Gleason took me out to dinner with some other friends, including a new person and three others who, who was at her first National from Denver.   How Gail puts that all together, I can't imagine, but I appreciate all she does.
 
I can't mention all the friends I saw, and those who either didn't make it, or have died. But, the memories will sustain me for another year.
 
Always a few weeks before the National, I don't want to go. Always a week or two after I am convinced I won't do it again. Then a year goes by, I forget the agony of sitting in my room wondering why I do this, and I head out again.
 
I did the Blog again, I was told a number of the posts didn't go. I got to see Zoe and Shelia again, and watched them take the Futurity Victor spot.  Our video didn't work, so Linda Bankhead stepped up and send video.  The videographer said he would send the tapes to everyone who bought the video.
 
I put the names of each bitch on the video as they came in the ring, but when Bob left to show, it got to be too much for the Blog and the announcers.
 
I hope everyone had a great time. I hope I change my attitude before next year. I hope to get through the 187 emails for the job, and  answer the pleading that came in last week.
 
I may take back doing the Youth Recognition Fund. I gave it up to someone who evidently never did anything. So, I will think about doing it again, and if so, I promise a better name with initials that mean something. GSYRF, isn't something that rolls off the tip of your tongue.
 
I wish you all well and thank you for  the opportunity to bring you my impressions of the National.