Saturday, October 12, 2024

Early thoughts

It is early Saturday morning, the day when we find out who is the best of the best, at least as to that Judge's opinion.

I have been enjoying the National for three days and realize how it affects me, as if anyone cares.

It is a time when I see so many old but important friends and have a chance to reflect not only how they have impacted me, but more what I have done with a long and interesting life.

When I see George Berstler, I am reminded of the young boy who worked so hard to become one of  the top handlers in the country. I remember when he was thinking about his future and considered buying a news stand for his future. Then we all called him Georgie, and he and Lamar were the stars of the show ring.

Then I see Jimmie and Sherri who were so pivotal in the shows, and how great it is to seem them both remarried but remain great friends and still so important in the ring.

I get to see Gloria Birch who has been my friend for so long, and remember her letting me handle her dogs.  One show where someone came up to me when I had a Covy Tucker dog and ask how I got such  a beautiful coat on my dog. Before I could answer Gloria who was behind me said, "You breed it".

Bob Dreshher who what such a great friend from high school of  Twyla Minor's brother Dave, who is another great friend, and all the years Bob and I sat at the announcer's table and tried to tell a funnier joke than the other person. Bob so often won.

I miss those who are not here, Dave Rinke, Rita Sandell, (I know she has a new name and husband, but I remember like it was yesterday when she married Allen Sandell, when he died).  Helen Fisher, who had such a great attitude and dedication to the breed was always fun to see.  Of course, Cappy who was so knowledgeable about the breed, but more so life in general. Each day I miss Jane Kerner, who was someone I would drive five days to a National if it was only to see her.

It seems like just yesterday when Larry and Hazel Parks sold me a small puppy bitch, and told us about dog shows. And going to Fran-Jo Kennels and leaning what great people were Fran and Joan Ford. I remember the tombstone outside the back door and leaning who Lance was.  We were told not to breed to Mannix as he was too sloppy going away.

I remember when Tedi bought me my first shepherd, before me were married. From another friend George Brew who raced a white German shepherd dog sled team. A little bundle of fur that was my  best friend until Tedi and married.  And me buying her a dog, that started us in this hobby.

I realized years ago, for me, it is about the people. The great friends who through the years have been there for us, who have supported us, who have shown us what the meaning of honesty, dedication, learning and friendship has  been.

But, enough about me. What you think about me?