Saturday, October 12, 2024

Friday at the Arena

Here it is. The big day, What we have waited for all week.

I see one person standing with a bib on. It is Bob Dresher, and he is holding Ch Baskerville's Pete of Anneiste-Maibar.  A Gunbowder son and I know the feeling that you could go back in the ring like you did when you were 18. I believe I could do it too, but will never try so I can keep the dream alive.  

I just talked to Bob, he is just holding the bib to check in.

I got to talk to Pablo for a few minutes too, and also Ileana looking fantastic with white hair.  She looks ready to judge, the ring is full of dogs and people with bibs, most not tied, to check in. Everyone has to check in  before leaving the ring. I understand Ileana is going to do all the dogs first.  I often wonder about that, since it is the dogs that people wait to see since they can't breed to someone else's bitch but can use the dog. It might make it more exciting to do the bitches first to build the excitement.

I can feel the excitement building and everyone is standing around expecting to go Grand Victor or Grand Victrix and so far it is possible for every one of them.

Next year I have work to get the announcer's booth down on the floor, I don't much like the isolation, but maybe the others prefer having me outcast like this.

And, they are calling them to the ring, and there goes the first entry.

It looks like everyone might be here, lots of fantastic dogs and bitches.  Still as many outside as inside.  All the dogs are checked in and the ring is full.  Now a "move-up" and another.  In come the bitches.  

I remember what a thrill being asked to take in a dog or bitch as a "holder".  Just the joy of being in the Specials ring and soaking up the energy. The bitches are forming a second circle inside the dogs.

They couldn't hear the call to numbers so Ilieana took over. We can hear her up in the eagles next announcer's booth.  There are few people outside the ring, it seems at least 80 entries inside.  between all the handlers and those holding to check in, few are left outside.

Tony iis making them in, and there are few not in there. And, out come the bitches.  So many beautiful bitches.

Now the dogs are being checked in.  She is breaking them into groups.  Six in the first group.  Ileana is talking to then,  and it looks like some are coming out of the ring from the rest.  I see the others being divided into groups and as they are divided they come out. so, Ileana is going to work them in groups of six. If it were me, I would work my first group of six, place them, call the winners and go home..  Of course I would never be able to show up at a National again.  That is something to do at the end of my life, right along with telling off a few superior Court Judges. The last group if four.

Tony is marking them in and now everyone is out except the first group.  

She is done with the loose lead test and now each down and back.  It is going to be a long day.  It looks like it is going to be seven groups.  All of these dogs look great from up here.

A lot of my pressure is off, since I was able to get my pleading filed yesterday, and it was done with help from the office through the computers. What a great advantage that is.

Now the group goes around and Ileana picks Alex with Redemption then Nancy with Gold rush George with No Crying.  And she lets the rest go.  This looks good for the time it is going to take.  In goes the second group. It is great for those who stay, but sucks for those who left after one pass.

The second group of six is in there.  They go around and Kent stopped to put a chair into the ring, and was late going around. But he had a good excuse. I see Art Sinclair is her and wearing a bib.  I see Carolyn Martello, and Alex is down there.  Kent is in the ring, and it is amazing how he runs.  Diane Brown is down there and so easy to notice. She is wearing all blue and again as I said, looking fantastic.  Sharon (used to be Earl) is running outside the ring and yelling.  I see Bill Basu is here. He called his wife to bring meds, and she told me he got a massage and is going to show.  

The last of the group going around.  She looks them over and say take them around and stops at the other end.  And off they go.  Ileana walks over to them to dash some dreams and she pulls Kent with Honky Tonk, the Jupiter Rising and Oh My .

Now the third group.  I got to talk to Mike Sherman with Kristine and Jimmie for a bit. Bev is here to two beautiful Wolf Hounds. They are such an impressive breed. I see Bill Basu running outside the ring, and I can't help feeling he hurts. I hope he can make it and has some good pain pills. It looks like he might need them.

I love the pace of what Iliana is doing, but I don't have a dog in this hunt.  It is very quiet in the arena, perhaps because we all know that the excitement is going to come when the keepers from each group are left.  This is the third group and the fastest I have ever seen anyone judge at a National.  The crowd does have some favorites but there are so few people it makes little noise.  Bill is taking to Gloria and Yolanda. He is wearing his Bib and seems to be saying he is going to show.  I see Pat Draper walking around.  Bill has his dog now.  Now the last dog in the group goes around.  Let's see if Ileana is consistent. She looks them over and instructs them to go around and stop half way around the ring.  She stop by the exit. I am sure they don't want to leave  She pulls Luke Duke with Art, C'est Si Von with Lindsey, Finius with Al Martin then Wyatt Earp . And the new group.  She is taking eleven minutes with each group.

There are seven groups and she is cutting them in half, keeping three or four so far. So, she should finish her first cuts in an hour.

 then she will have twenty to work with.  I see Teressa Royer looking good and walking around talking to everyone.  I miss Bob, Tony and I know names, but not everyone. With the three if us, we had them all.

Carmine is here and doing great. WE did talk for a bit, and Cindy have the last male, Prince of Darkness.  Off the go to the end of their dreams, for half the class.  They stop with Bill Basu in front she pulls Sunny Barely Leon and Lunch Money with Zac and hands him off to Pat Draper. Only two, and I am pleased for Pat and Celeste two of the greatest people you could ever know. Celeste has had to miss so many Nationals, so I am glad they were keepers so far. Dreams die quickly at the National.

On to the nest group.  This is the next to the last group.  It is 10:00. A real professional job. Ileana's temperament test is fast efficient and complete.  I see Brenda Shepherd and her son Robert has turned into a great handler.  I see Linda Fox, and she said Joan is coming today and it will be good to see her. I just watched Gerlin's Armstrong. I love that dog, and his owners George and Lin.   Kept  were Peregrim, Armstrong, and Dirty Denim.  Tony and I didn't get the handlers by I know Armstrong was with Diana Paul, another person I look forward to seeing at a National.

Erin Nellis just came by to tell us about the dinner, and it is always great to see her and her mom, Nancy.  Dwayne again came out of the ring, after going around. Some day a Judge is going to fault him for that. He takes the dog out to see the owner. I know you should not do that.  Liv has a dog liked by the crowd or someone with a big mouth. Amy Nichols came by to say hello.  Debbie Friedberg's daughter.   I did get to talk to Debbie yesterday. 

Only four in this group and they stop and here comes the Judge.  She keeps Amy with Sherpas Conlie and lets the other three go.  I see the smile on Amy's face. She just retired after 29 years in the Navy. I remember her being born.

Now the Move up, the Winner's Dog and the Veteran. It is traditional to keep the Winner's dog, but I don't know what she will do.  Kent is running outside the ring.  I see that those who were dismissed still have their bibs on. so maybe they are going to come back in.  I do like her procedure, but I know a lot of handlers and owners are not pleased to have such a fast decision.

Individual passes for each of the three.  Here goes the Pass of Death.  Iliana walks over to  three and keeps the Veteran and Winner's Dog, Cal and Veteran Peace. 

MORE TO COME

The new group isn't the last.