Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Maturity Dogs

MATURITY MALES

OK, my bad. I went to get something to eat and missed the finals. But BEST IN FUTURITY IS WELOVE DU CHIEN’S LAST HURRAH, and BEST OPPOSITE FUTURITY IS BAHARI’S JESSE II.

I got to talk to Lana Lee, saw Helen Lianopolis, and Ken Tank. I did spend a few minutes with Jimmie and Sheree, and exchanged a joke with Ed Barritt.

The Maturity dogs are in the ring with Michelle.

12 are in the ring and individuals are going through the drill. It seemed to have quieted down now, with 12 to go this might take a while. Michael Cheeks is here and sitting with Joanna Rand. I did walk around for a bit.

He has them in groups of four, and there goes the first group. They do their thing, and now the second group with Georgie in front with Full Throttle. Michael looks them over and walks around the class and now back to the center and tells them to take a trip around. Now, one at a time, and Full Throttle with George goes around, and he does cover the ground.

Next Faith Rock Caralon Good Vibrations, and a deep bodied dog. He looks fully mature, and I like his size. Stands like a pro. I like the way he moves too.

Next up is Cindy with Mariner’s Black Angus. A dark Bi, and a dog I have seen a bit of before.

JR is taking in Patron, Twyla’s dog. I do love that dog, a big masculine pussy cat, but a dog that looks you in the eye, and lets you know who is in charge. He is deep bodied, solid as a rock. I have spent time with him, so I have personal opinions. You know I never share my thoughts. That’s all four, and Michael wants to take them all around again. They all use the whole ring, and it is not a short ride.

Michael takes some notes and tells them to take a lap, and stand off to the side. There they go for a last time for the rest period, or “time out” as we know it. Now another group in front with Scottie in front with Midnight Suns Tommy Bahama, and they all pose. One time around. And, now Tommy in the middle of the ring. Karen Taylor is behind us to double Tommy.

Me & Bobby McGee is now in the ring, and a very dark bi.

Bill Basu has Last Cowboy, a dog I do like. Bob Dressher finished him, and I always felt he was going to be a great one. He takes his pass.

Moris has Feature Presentation. A full brother to Full Throttle. Two brothers that won Maturities. How much fun is that? And he takes his pass, and then they line up together. This is turning into a long day.

There goes the last group with Scottie in front, and now all of the groups together.

Michael checks his notes, and he looks at the first one, pulls out Aj Von Honrberger, then Gable, All ABoiut me, Last Cowboy, and Feature Presentation. He has five in the “I hate this pass” group, and they take a trip. And, he lets them go. Patron is gone, and I am broken hearted.

Now, I am over it.

Seven in the ring and Michael has them down to the end of the ring, so I can’t see the numbers but he takes the first three, AJ, Gable, All About Me. No particular order. Now the next three, Full Thottle, Cowboy, and Feature Presentation. Now for the hard work. The first three again, with the rest of them, all six, and I think he may be ready. He looks them over, and checks his notes and pulls out All About Me, Full Throttle, Cowboy, and Feature Presentation,

Two leave and then there were four. One at a time, no, all together, and Michael looks at them and calls All About Me to go down and back and he looks for the double handler, and Lenny grooms he dog, and takes him down and back. Georgie who is in second is yelling, “easy” and is working the dog. The first dog, around alone, easy, and I will call him Java, as that is what Sheree keeps yelling. Now Full Throttle, and I know the crowd is going to love him. Down and Back, and now he stands, and stands, and stands, Michael Cheeks is behind my and the dog won’t twitch a muscle. Michael tells George to wait, saying he is old. The crowd loves it, and loves Full Throttle.

Now it’s Cowboy’s time. Bill Basu isn’t liming as he did last year, but he is still sore. Frank Martello is running and getting in front of him.

Next Morris has Feature Presentation. The double handling is funny, and clear. Glad they decided to require it at all future AKC shows. I understand you can dismiss a dog if it isn’t being double handled.

They line up, four people with dreams intact. Georgie has ripped off the sleeves of his shirt, a very different look. It works for him. He often has looked ripped. And he heads to the front. The club loves it, and all together, and there go the double handlers, and lots of yelling and yelling and YES, IT’S FULL THROTTLE.