Wednesday, October 12, 2022

First day at the National 2022

Here I am in Florida at the arena, an hour and a half before the show.
The ring is interesting. It is gypsum and felt. It looks like dirt with no dust and a light gray. The footing feels good with no slipping.
I did run into Al this morning. He was about to go for a  run before he runs at the show. Just thinking about it makes my back hurt.
Getting here was interesting. After five hours in the air, we followed directions to Ocola, all back roads and neighborhoods until I insisted we use my phone.  What a surprise, Florida has freeways.
As we were leaving the hotel, (fantastic place but very expensive), I  leaned down to pet a dog that looked incredible. The owner told me it was River, who you know I love. He is a great dog, stood like a statue while I petted him and fussed over him.
There is no place to eat at the arena, and this place is huge. We found the Center, and then could not find the hotel. Then when we went out and came back, could not find the hotel again.  I am going to have to rent a scooter.
The announcers table is on a platform which if I lean back, I am going to fall off.
Bob, (the voice of the national) showed his great dog yesterday and went Best of Breed. He was Select number two last year, so I know he has hopes of Grand Victor this year, and I can see that happening.

I have to admit, this is a bit plush for me. The hotel is $180  a night, but worth it. Marble floors and at least six restaurants in the building.

I am here an hour and a half early, but since I don't have a catalog, and the internet just listed Futurity today with no times, I guess I am ready to do whatever comes up.

Zac is in the ring by himself.  I am talking to the video people, who are here.  Lindsey is whistling and got my attention, the puppy not so much.

Ben Bigornia is here and talking to the other few people.  Now some are filtering in, and Julie and Candy are working the tables with the ribbons and bands, (arm, not music).  Ken Cunningham is here, but ignoring me. That shows how smart he has become.  They have the big ribbons hanging on a board. the lighting is great, it is comfortable in here.  We had dinner with Candy and Julie last night, and while expensive, it was a good hamburger.  I see a pattern developing here with money.

Half an hour to show time, (so I hear) and not many people in the arena.  A few are waling around, I see about 12 so far.  I guess I am skipping breakfast. Maybe as the day develops there will be some more people. That is my prediction.

Bob just got; here, and so did Alex.  Sharon is now here, the judge is in the ring.  She brought Michael. I see Joan Fox and Linda at the end of the ring.  Zoe is here and Shelia is here too, but hasn't come by. Michael Chaloux is talking to us, Joan Fox came by to say hello and so did Gloria Birch. Karen came by and looks great, and here is George. 

Since all my rowdy friends are coming by, so I will send this and be back.