Saturday, October 28, 2023

Saturday the Big Cahuna, The Great Day, Champion showdogs, All the marvles

I don't care what you hardy MidWesterners say, four degrees above freezing is cold.  The arena is a bit warmer but all the doors are open and the breeze is a real eye opener.

Some reflections on the show:  It has been fun with a great venue to get to, (two miles from our motel), good footing and the sound system works.   We announcers are separated from the little people, and I prefer to be down were I can talk to my few remaining friends.  That points out one thing I don't like. So many who no longer are with us, and also those who didn't make it to the show. Twyla, Nancy Hubble, Celeste, and so many others who make me laugh. But, we are next to the stairs to go to the food shack, so it seems everyone does come by at some point.

Only the lonely are here an hour before show time.  I see six of us here, including Channing. So far I have seen some fantastic dogs and I know the best is yet to come. But, the parade of first Levi with 29 offspring, then River and Gunner showed that the breed continues to improve.

The judging has been as good as expected. I found that Sam showed great ring control and was decisive and got the best dogs up front. I know Rita always does a great job and did again. I so enjoyed Vickey who had no problem sorting out the classes and should do Specials in three years.

Irv just came in, and I am thinking of going to the car and turning on the heat.  Speaking of heat, (I have no idea what the connection is), the food is fantastic and only maybe 20 freed from the ring. To give an example of the costs, the corn dogs are $2.00, (I have had five).  They have something called funnel fries which look like french frys, but are funnel cakes covered with powdered sugar.  The fried pork cutlet is wonderful, (I have had three, so far). The breakfast raps for $5.00 are as good as you can get.  So different from Florida.

Today is the big day with all the champions. The entry is larger than normal and with the low temperature it should be great for the dogs, and also the handlers. The ring is large and the footing is great.  

I just talked to Tom Mesdag who met with the Judge for today.  He says they will bring in the bitches at 8:30, check them in, then excuse them and bring in the dogs. Deb is going to judge the dogs first and then the bitches.  I prefer they do the bitches first, but it is understandable that Deb wants to follow the catalog. Don't you just hate it when people follow the rules? Tom, Irv and me are the only men here with six woman. That works for me. Tedi is coming later with her sister.

I am off to find some heat and will return at a propitious time.