Sunday, October 07, 2012

Sunday and a break from the law

I need to mention the Red Book. This is an amazing collection of information. I was able to buy one yesterday and spent about an hour today, going through it. That just gave me time to turn all the pages and glance at the articles, and the statistics.
 
It would take all year to try to understand all the information in there, but we should give Liz Leshhorn a word of appreciation for the work she does on this.  To prove I did look at it, I did see on page 2 that there was an article about Don Knight, but then by the time I got to the end, it was a interview with  Mary Ann Imhoff. Both of these people have a lot to offer us, and certainly there is no loss that it was Mary Ann instead of Don. I am pleased to call them both my friends and people I admire.
 
I was stuck by the close relationship between the top producers, not only dogs, but bitches as well.  It is good that I include the Kishs and Jane Kerner as people who will talk to me, they certainly are the major influences on the breed today.  If we have interbred too much, on but a few dogs, we will know in the years ahead. But, certainly the winners are traced to only a few dogs in less than four pedigrees. That may be a sign that we have learned how to use the quality we have gained, or a problem for the future. But, today the quality of what is being shown is greater than at any time in the past.
 
I am struck that the Red Book would be a great tool for everyone looking for a dog, not just the breeders. It is a shame that it is too expensive to give to every buyer of a puppy. Maybe we should find a way to put it on the net, for a reduced price. It is a great tool to understand our breed.
 
I will have it in the car for the 20 hour trip to Colorado. By the time we get there, I should have a better idea of what the statistics mean. I will ask Summer to explain them to me.
 
Evan L. Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German Shepherds 

http://www.asgardgsd.com
Where Type Movement and Temperament come  together