Monday, October 14, 2013

The end of another year

My final thoughts as another year goes by.
 
The judging was the best this year that I have ever seen.  Dave always does a good job, and this year showed us how great the breed type was, and how much we continue to improve our breed. It could be that we brought the best we could to him, or that he found the best of the best. But, in Specials it cannot be denied that many of those that did not make the cut, were impressive examples of the breed.  Those that won, well, you had to be here to see that.
 
Both Morton and Gloria demonstrated that they know the way to judge our breed. They found the top of the quality that was brought to them, and again, a great deal of what we saw will encourage us to continue on the path we have been headed. The depth of quality was amazing, and if anyone wants to say our breed has gone to hell, they either didn't go to the national this year, or need to open their eyes.
 
Jamie always does a top job in judging and this year had a group of Juniors who were not only polished, but also showed as well in the Specials classes and the regular classes while being able to still show in Juniors. Nancy McDonald has done a fantastic job to promote the Juniors, and it is sad but understandable that she is stepping down to give that job to someone else.
 
I have been honored to be able to give something to the Juniors, mostly because you all supported the German Shepherd Youth Recognition Fund. I was blown away to be handed an envelope with money from the performance events for the Fund.  This year more so than before I was faced with some decisions that were not easy.  One person wanted me to announce as the funds came in, how much was there. The suggestion given to me was that she believed in disclosure and transparency.  I think that has merit, and as she told me, if I did that, and also gave credit to those who donated, it would encourage more donations.  I always have felt that who gives, or what they give is a private thing, and should not be for recognition, but rather to do it only to support the Juniors. I also feel that the money should not be an incentive to the competition, but the kids should be there only for the honor of showing and competing.   Since I am a committee of one, (as I often am in my life), I am going with my opinion, right or wrong for now. I am open to ideas and will continue to consider them. 
 
 This year we awarded over $5,400.00 to a fund that will be put in a Trust Account to be given to the winner when she turns 18, or decides to turn professional.  I feel not everyone will want to go to college, and so a college fund will not be set up. Again, just my opinion.  I am also being told that we should limit the amount each year, and save the balance for the next year or years. I am thinking over that suggestion, as I consider all ideas.  I am not settled on anything.
 
The show in total was more relaxed and fun than ever before. That might be a result of such good hot dogs, or maybe just I am getting old. I got to see so many old friends, and missed so many of those who did not attend.  I can't name them all, but I would have enjoyed seeing Helen Fisher, Ken and Pat Downing, Rita Sandell, Bob and Nadine Grady,  Tony, Daphne Hereford, Paul and Jennifer Root, and of course Summer who always keeps me smiling. Summer turns into a teenager on the 27th of this month.  I hope she doesn't change as Paul Lynd says they do.  (Byby Birdy).   I regret not spending more time with some of my friends like Tami Howard, Doug Crane, Paula Cook, Cappy and Gloria, and so many others that were there, and I could only say hello to in passing.  I would have liked to have the announcer's table open so others could sit with us, and had Flower Boy there too.  But, there are always regrets, and that is normal for every National.
 
I was sorry that Exxon did not win his class, he is impressive. But the dog that beat him went on to become Best Puppy, and some folks did notice Exxon. Of course I had higher hopes for Icon, but he is young, and has a future ahead of him.  I had picked Halston to win last year, and it took Dave to do it for her. Joey and Manny are two of the biggest supporters of good sportsmanship and two people who always have a kind word for everyone. That is the true value of this game.
 
I came back home without losing any weight. That is a good thing. I think it may have been due to the hot dogs there and the great lamb gyros.  The food was excellent, the mood the best ever. The dogs better than ever, the crowd supportive, the judging as good as it could be, the location comfortable, and over all, another great event.
 
I know not everyone can attend a National. But Lana Lee works hours each day to make it work.  Bob (The Voice of The National) Lindsey keeps us calm in the middle of the constant storms.  It takes more than a village to put on an event like that, and the effort was rewarded.
 
I know there are tears for not winning.  Exhaustion from the hard work. There are those who think they should have done more, or even felt they didn't get a fair shake, but that is the nature of the beast. Overall, another great year is in the books, and now we look forward to the next one.
 
Send me those donations for the German Shepherd Youth Recognition Fund, (I do need to think of a better name), keep breeding to improve the breed, and think what Bart will do next year with this depth of quality.
 
That's it for me folks, another year at the national. It is the first time I came home not thinking I never want to do the Blog again. Unless I start to limp or bite the judge, I will be there next year, and do the best I can to bring you what I see, what I think and how I feel.  The nice thing about the Blog is that we all have a Delete button, feel free to use is well and often.
 
Thanks for listening.
 
Evan L. Ginsburg
gsyrfund.com
Asgard German Shepherds 

http://www.asgardgsd.com
Where Type Movement and Temperament come  together