Monday, October 19, 2015

As it began, it is over

It is time to reflect on the National, and submit my last Blog for the year.
 
I am pleased some enjoy what I do. It is hard work, and without help, I couldn't do it. Molly was terrific. She knew the dogs and the handlers and fed me the information so I could send it as soon as it was done.  The internet in the building was hit and miss. I understand it was also a problem for the video, but they expect to fix it next year.  I did see what they recorded, and I was pleased and bought the classes.
 
I know there is a long delay after bitches, but not a lot happened, and I waited to post when Rita finished. As for Rita, it was some of the best judging I have ever seen.  I think between Dave Rinke, Rita Sandel, and Ed Barret, we can depend on them finding the best of the best.  We have another number of judges who do good jobs, and three of them will be there next year. I guess I should include Barbara Amadon in those, but she doesn't seem to run any more. I would show under her any time.
 
The quality this year was something to see. I saw dogs that were excused in all classes that would win the class another time. I was told Rita said she would go as deep as necessary but each had to be of the quality that could take the top spot on another day, and that is what she did.
 
Vickie and Bob did perfect judging. I followed them, and certainly the best of the best went up. But, there were way too many to place but four, but they followed the rules.
 
I was surprised to see four placing in the Futurity and Maturity, but liked it. I remember when Big Ben was in the Maturity, he went third, (first time I ever saw it called, and it was Ernie Loeb), and first was R-Man.  I was proud to go third.
 
I was pleased to see Fred Migliore and he told me he was not angry with me, and we got to exchange some jokes. I was never angry with him, but for some reason he didn't talk to me for years. He was in good spirits and he belonged at the National. He showed Eli in the Parade of Greats.
 
The speakers need work, (the actual physical speakers, although Tony and I could use some work too), but other than that the location was great.
 
There was some tension with some of the workers not visible, but that is expected with an event of this size. I was able to do some calming, but I leave that for those involved to say.
 
I do want to object to Thrifty auto rental. When we got in, there was no indication where they were. We asked and were told they were downstairs. When we went downstairs, with all our luggage, they were closed and no sign as to what to do. So we went upstairs and were told to take the shuttle to the lot. So, we did that and got a car.
 
When we returned Sunday, at 4:00 am, (6:00 am flight), we saw they opened at 6:00. So we called and were told to go to Lot C. We did find the lot but no instructions. So, we called again and were told to take a ticket and go to Valet Parking. We went in, but no way to find Valet Parking. I finally flagged down a bus and was told to go to the end of the lane and turn left. I did, but no Valet Parking. We called them again and were told there were signs and we were stupid if we couldn't find it. I had some choice words for "Rob" and left the car, Threw the key on the seat, (I hope someone steals it),  took the bus to the terminal and made our flight. I got a request for a survey from Thrifty today.  I doubt they liked what I said.
 
On that note, I have a trial beginning Wednesday, what looks like two months of pleadings on other cases and six clients coming in today.
 
The host hotel was excellent, and while I would like some better places to eat, the ones we went to were great. One was a bit much with $80.00 for just Tedi and I with no drinks, but the food was good. You have to go to the Hathorne, and be ready to share. Both good food and large servings, and reasonable prices.
 
 The free dinner at the show site was worth much more than we paid for it.
 
Peg Graham came by where I was working many times as did Sheryl Brockett. It seems I seldom mention them, since they are part of the crew here in California, but they were working hard constantly.
 
This was a fun National. I missed Bob, (The Voice of The National) Dresher, and Bobbie our film expert. Of course not having Twyla Minor, Tom and Vivian, Bob and Darlene Ghaleri there was a disappointment.
 
The Drapers did well with their entries but more important they brought our large suitcase and took home our dirty clothes and the VERY HEAVY AOE trophy. They drove and I think the Select Ribbon for Exxon will carry them to at least Kansas.
 
I am sorry for those who didn't make it, but know it was one of the best ever, due to the judging. Now to get Ed and Dave to do it again, and now Rita, is my goal.
 
Thanks for reading, my fingers are sore, and I am tired, but, now on to my real life. As if, I have a life.
 
Evan L. Ginsburg
German Shepherd Youth Recognition Fund