Saturday, October 21, 2006

DOG, AT LAST

We are waiting for the males to come in. I would go to the restroom, but I am afraid I might miss who goes Select.  This has to be a record for the fastest judging at a national.  The ring was silent when she eliminated about bitches in the first cut, after the individuals. Dania didn’t miss posting what was going on, that is the system Helen used. She did the individuals, and after she finished all of them, she pulled 11, and let the rest go. I have never seen that before, but everyone has their own style.  I heard that one person figured it was $1,000.00 a lap. I had someone else say they weren’t going to charge the full handling fee, that is an amazing gesture. 
 
The tension is building, and everyone is wondering if Helen will do the same thing in Dogs.  If so, we had better look quickly if we want to see anyone, because we will only get one chance.  At least we know what to do.  It is just before 1:00 and we were supposed to begin at quarter to, but we are still waiting.  Cathy Potter came to say hello, and I see people eating lunch. 
 
AND HERE THEY COME, AND DANIA IS HERE, SO THE FIRST TEAM IS ON BOARD.
 
Dania is marking who is here, and she has to do it right away, as they might be gone before we get a chance to do anything else. I don’t see Helen yet, and dogs are still coming into the ring. I think they are all in, and what a group of magnificent males. And in comes Jimmy at the end. They take up one and a half of the ring, and I doubt there are many absent.  There was some talk that people might pull dogs, but I think everyone knows they will have a looks, so they are here. Helen is in the ring, and Dania didn’t see her.  There is some tension in the arena, and Helen has her clipboard talking to the ring steward, and Bob is checking numbers of the dogs in the ring. Bob said she is ready to pick her winners. The One and Only came to join us, it is Lanalee, Bob, Dania, Ralph, Cindi and me.  Now that is a group to avoid. Now Helen is talking to the crowd and talking to the Gheleris.  Helen turns to looks and half of the class leaves the ring. I don’t think for good, but what do I know.  Actually she kept a lot of dogs, and I guess she is letting half rest.
 
Now Helen goes tot he front of the group, it looks like 25 or so, and she is talking to the ring steward, and there is something being done, but no one knows what it is. Now she returns to the side, and walks along to the center. She has a note pad and pen, and comes to the photographer, and looks back and here comes the steward.  They talk and he leaves and Helen moves to the center of the ring,a nd up comes the first group of five, first is Christina Mechanical Bull, then Steve with GQ, then Tiffany with Let Freedom Ring, then Lenny with Snake, and last is Sue Godek with Dream Catcher.   Christina is out there, and the dog is ignoring Helen, and she sets him up.  Mechanical Bull is a Bull Durham son.  Helen is laughing and there he goes. Helen wants him down and back again, and Christine brushes him up and takes him around.  The crowd is starting to wake up, but not much yet.
 
The Guz and I decided that we can all say if we showed a bitch, “we made it to the last cut.”
 
Now Tiffany is in the center with Let Freedom Ring.  This is the dog of our Vice President, and good looking sable.
 
Lennie comes in with Snake.  I miss Jack Budd at the show, and I know he is watching. Lennie and Helen are laughing, and there he goes, down and back. And around. I know this isn’t very interesting so a joke. A man walks into a bar with jumper cables around his neck. The bartender says I will serve you, but don’t start anything.
 
And now Nancy McDonald is in the ring, but Helen is watching the other bunch and looks over and realizes that Nancy is standing out there. Helen smiles and Helen laughs, and comes over to do another individual.  Nancy has Dream Catcher.  We may have just had a Senior Moment.  But, Nancy is the last in the class and sneaked out there without Helen seeing her.  It is good to see her out there, we thought at one time she would never handle again, after her motorcycle accident.
 
She tells them to go around and set aside, but not dismissed, thank god.
 
Now the next group with Bart in front, with Premium Blend, Lauri Hathaway with Smoking Gun then a Junior with Hans,  Jeff with Axel, and Jerry with Elmo.  Bart takes Premium Blend, who went Select before, Michal Cheek’s dog.  If you are there, you now know to make it good the first time, it is the only chance you will get. 
 
Out there is Lauri with Smoking Gun and Ginnie came by to bat her eyelashes at me. She heard someone lost a lash and keeps asking if I like hers. I do.  Lori is smiling and goes down and back. A man walks into a bar with a small newt on his shoulder. The bartender says, why is he so small, and the man replies, because he is my newt.
 
Next up is the unknown junior with great hands, and shows Hans, and she sets him up, and he is not happy, but stands there, but not good enough. Helen seems to want him to stand, and she can’t check testicles, and she pats the girl on the back and excuses him. I know she doesn’t want to do that, but she had to.  She marks the judges book and on to Jeff.
 
Jeff has Axel, and I have loved this dog since he was a puppy. I gave him a major in Michigan.  His true name is Guns and Roses, but they call him Axel. He was the only dog I recognized when I judged, I seldom remember dogs, but him I did. He turned into a big handsome male, and I do like him.  Jeff wants him calmed down and tells the double handler to leave him alone, and there he goes.
 
Now, ELMO. The pressure is on. Jerry sets him up, and he does look good. She goes over him, and Jerry fusses with his coat, and takes him down and back. I don’t know what the crowd will do, it could go either way.  Well, hell, they love him. And Rightly so.  He does look great.  Helen makes a note. And Jerry brings him to the end of the group of four and Helen tells them to go around.
 
Next group is led by O’Connor. Thank god for timing and he isn’t behind Elmo. 
 
Channing is in from with O’Connor. He didn’t have much enthusiasm, but we shall see.   He is not that excited, and out he comes to the center. He still looks young to me. She looks at him from the front and she takes him down and back. I know he is clean, and that is not going to do much to hurt him.  And he takes his turn.  I doubt he will make the first cut, but he will be there for the last cut.
 
Now it is Phillip Moore with Night Train.  I think Elmo is going to be the one to beat so far, but that is just my opinion. Of course, it probably is right.  A good looking Bi, with lots of attitude.
 
Next we have Thunder with a handler I don’t know, and she set up in line, and then Helen told her to go to the middle.  She does a nice job for someone I don’t know. It is all about me.
 
Next up is Julie Hamasaki with Maximus.  Another dog that went Select. Paul Root is here, and still grinning. 
 
Here goes Jamie Clutte with Dashiell Hammett and time for another exciting individuals exam. This is Carmen’s dog, and so he is doubling.  I am sure the AKC knows nothing about it. A nice animal. That’s the group, and O’Connor is leading, and looks great standing,a dn Helen comes to them, and tells them to take them around and there they go. 
 
Next group. In front is George with Nubian Prince, then Liz with Samuari, then Trish with Rambling Man, Olivia with Here Comes Trouble, and last is Terry with Valor.
 
Lana is now taking over.  George goes in with Nubian Prince - this is a solid black stallion. That last comment was Dania’s, but I can’t disagree with her.  Now is Liz Oster with Samuri. He makes a nice round and the crowd seems to appreciate him.  Next is Trish Wylie with alfaro’s Rambling Man.This is a large B&T who the crowd seems to appreciate. Bil-Mar’s Here Comes Trouble is coming with Olivia.  The Crowd REALLY loves this one!  Terry has Valor and he’s very striking against the white background as he goes around.
 
Evan is looking for a bandaid.  I asked if the show had caused him to bleed.  Turns out no one can find one.  We have decided that if someone has an amputated leg we’ll just have to shoot them.
 
The next group is now up for consideration. The crowd is yelling so I had to look up.  It is Cargo making his individual.  Jack Kilgore is showing off with Outlaw.  They make a good pair.
 
Ralph Roberts is exchanging “Good Old Day” tales with Dania, one of the few of us old enough (or at least capable) of remembering those days! (For God’s sake, don’t tell her I said that or she’ll spill even worse dirt on me!!!).
 
Now Leslie is up with Zillion Dollar Guy.  She and Helen are chatting in the center.  Wouldn’t you love to know what’s going on in THAT exchange??!! Sean is nup now with Bacardi Gold who looks like he’s having entirely too good of a time at this. Donna Graham is now out there with a very handsome black dog.  Its nice to see so many lovely blacks.  I remember finishing blacks, back before black was beautiful(I think that was ummmmmmm......never mind how long ago THAT was.)
 
Big Dave walked by.  I’ve asked him to please stay at one end or the other as with this bright overhead lighting, the glare from his head is making it hard to see the laptop screen.  I’m only saying that because I’m up high enough that he can’t get to me to hurt me...hehehehehehe.
 
Scott is out there for his individual.  Some loud, blond bimbo with HUUUUUUUUGE boobs is doubling his dog.  Opps! It’s Loren.  I mean there’s a lovely, elegant blond lady, genteely alerting Scott’s dog and she has the best boobs money can buy!!
 
I see Basu with Man in Black and I don’t mean Flower Boy, who seems to be distinguished by his absence.  You think maybe he’s avoiding me?  Art Sinclair has Army of One who looks ready and willing for this battle.  This is another big, handsome boy and the crowd really loves this him. Mike Sherman and Marko are the last of this bunch. The black dog makes a very attractive picture going down the backside.
 
Bob Lindsay is working hard getting the best product he possibly can for all you poor stay-at-homers.  You’ll love them.  He really has the flavor of the show.  When you combine his tapes with Evan’s blogs, you’ll never even know you weren’t here.
 
I’m thinking I’ve caused enough trouble for this hour. I’ll give it back to Evan for awhile.  He must have been reading over my shoulder as he just went flying off the stand and went to sit down in a booth, so I guess you guys are stuck with me for a little longer. Keven Reynolds is here telling us all about his new business.  He seems pleased with how its going. I see Gary S.  who is still beaming about his new dog, as well he should be.  Not bad, buying a piece of one BEFORE it goes RWD at the National.  Bob Grady just came by to smile and say hi.  He was going to tell me a dirty joke, but I told him “ I wasn’t THAT kind of girl!”
 
Miguel is hustling from place to place with more cameras than a Kodak store.  I don’t have to admit that the stuff he has on display at his booth is pretty terrific.  What a talent he has, no matter the subject.
 
One a more fun subject, Dania, Helen Gleason and I went to dinner last night in Old St Charles which as an utterly charming old village where Lewis and Clark began their expedition west.  We started the evening by taking a buggy ride all through the village with a fun driver and an awesome gigantic grey Percheron named Sam. We had more fun than should be allowed with your clothes on. This was all followed by a lovely dinner at a place appropriately named The Mother in Law’s House.
 
Now, back to the show.  Cindy Tellefson look dapper in a purple print top with black pants and appears to have her game face on. Gail Sprock is there now with a a nice B&T boy who seems to have Gail well in hand. Gail is doing her thing as if she’s never been away from the ring. Have I mentioned all the neat vendors yet?  There is a good supply and people are spending a lot of money (unfortunately including moi). I see a lot of people with bags & boxes and new jewelry, so I think the vendors are going to be very pleased.
 

Paul Root just whizzed by with a smile plastered on his face from ear to ear.  I don’t think that he and Jenn as well as the Coleman’s will NOT need a plane to fly home.  Nancy Nellis is TOTALLY elegant in St. Johns.  The pictures will be so much the better with her presence.  I am so jealous that she can be such a whirling dervish of work and yet look so gorgeous.
 
Now Ralph and Dania are making fun of me for wearing my visor inside, but I stuck out my tongue and said that it helps with the glare from the lights, so nanarnanar! Frank Fasano just came up to ask Bob to ask Fred Migliore to please come to the announcer’s stand to retrieve his shorts. Don’t you wish we had the WHOLE story on THAT one?
 
OHHH!  Evan’s finally back.  I’ll let him fill you in on his adventures.  Now he’s trying to weasel out and says I have to stay here and do the play by play because his fingers are tired.  Guess you’re stuck with me awhile longer. Eric Norby just went around with Yancy.  Now I see Bill Tank who came in from the desert just to run around and make his dog look good.  I’ll have to ask Dania who he has.  ALLLLLVIIIIIINNNNN is now here with Melissa Chavez.  You just KNOW the crowd is going to go WILD for this combo!  Helen has looked like she’s been having a ball all day and I think it’s going to pick up even more when Alvin goes around.  Well, I called that one right!  The rafters are rumbling with yelling and applause. Alvin looks spectacular and Melissa  looks like the cat that got the cream. Linus, the senior veteran dog is going around and doesn’t look a day over 3.  The crowd is loving these veterans! Now Jimmy is taking around the WD.  Its hard to believe Jim doesn’t have a male special, but there he is and the dog looks great.
 
Now she is putting al the groups together to start pulling the dogs she’s interested in.  Thee tensions are building and the doublers are busy running into each other as they jockey for position.
Here she goes...Mechanical Bull, Sirius Park, Premium Blend, Let Freedom Ring, Guns n’ Roses,
Elmo, Rambling Man, Here Comes Trouble, Zillion Dollar Guy, Altana’s Outlaw, Bicardi Gold, Vinnie the Viper, Army of One, The Big Red Dog, Diamond’s Da Vinci, Antonio, Purple Rain, Real Deal, Good to Go, Nubian Prince, Maximus, the WD, and ALLLLLLVINNNNNNN!!
This times she’s kept 23 animals.  Axl is now moved in front with Jeff Pyle, Elmo is 2nd, Outlaw, Zillion Dollar Guy, Purpple Rain, The Big Red Dog, Diamond, Da Vinci, TR, Maestro, Alvin, Smoking Gun, Premium Blend, Mechanical Bull, The Real Deal &  Sirius Park .  Now she’s down to 15.  The noise is getting louder as the stakes get higher.  Now Premium blend moves into 11th.  ALLLVINNNN is in lucky 13th.The first 3 are going around (Axl, Elmo & Outlaw).  Now she goes a little further down the line and here goes Zillion Dollar Guy, Yankee & The Real Deal. Scott is leading the next group with Vinnie the Viper, Alex is behind him with Purple Rain and Patty charging hard with The Big Red Dog.  Now Vinnie the Viper is in front, Purple Rain is 2nd,  Axl, 3rd, Elmo 4th.  She is moving Premium Blend, Tr and Diamond Da Vinci.  Premium Blend is now being moved into 3rd behind Scott & Alex.  Here goes Alvin and the building is coming down around my ears.  Mechanical Bull, just took off behind Alvin without his leash.   Here goes Vinnie, Purple Rain, Premium Blend, Axl & Elmo.  Purple Rain just went went in front.  Yankee (let Freedom Ring) has been moved to sixth.  The Crowd is loving Purple Rain!!  Now Helen is going down the line and stopping in front of Axl & Elmo.  Premium Blend is now 2nd behind Purple Rain and the both look fantastic.  Now Elmo goes to third in front of Vinnie.  Now she moves up Joann Corbin with Diamond Da Vinci to 5th. There are still 15 animals in there. Movoing again its Purple Rain, Premium Blend, Elmo .....Never mind, Premium Blend just went in front and Elmo is 2nd.  And that’s it!!!  Premium Blend wins it!  2nd Elmo, 3rd Purple Rain, 4th Vinnie, 5th Axl, 6th Diamond DaVinci, 7thYankee, 8th The Real Deal, 9th Altana’s Outlaw, 10th Zillion Dollar Guy, 1lth The Big Red Dog, 12th  Antonio, 13th ALVINNNN, 14th Mechanical Bull & 15th Sirius Park.
 
Evan’s bitching about sending the results, but I thought I would take this time to tell a reallllllly long story to all of you instead.  Okay. OKAY!  Just kidding!!
 
Signing off from lovely Lake St Louis, Missouri.  See you all next year in Colorado!!
 

The One & Only ..............LANALEE!!!!
 
This is Evan, and had I been doing it, it would have been out half an hour earlier.  Blame Lanalee, and Dania.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
           
 
Evan
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/

Where Type Movement and Temperament come together

No comments: