Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Location, location, location


Wonder what's going to be the new surprise
 
The big surprise for me, is that we are not going to drive.  Although it is costing a fortune, we will fly without our dog this year.
I was worried about six days on the road, with motels, a dog, and gas costs. Then there is the wear and tear on us, and the road hazards.
In the end we decided if we can't fly a 500 crate into St. Louis, we would leave the dog at home.  So, our 12 to 15 month old Patriot son, (Futurity winner),  will wait for a location he can fly into, which if I understand it, will be in 2017.  That will be just in time for him to go Select.
While I support our board, and know the cost savings have to be significant, and realize the need to have a central location, they do need to address the inability to get a 500 crate to the National by plane. What this is going to cause is a limitation on who can be there.   I expect the entry numbers will remain, but one of the Futurity winners won't be there, (Teddy Roosevelt), and except that Gloria and Cappy are driving, the K dog wouldn't have been shown.  I hope I am the only person not taking a dog due to the restrictions.
This year it is just an entry.  In the future it is going to the members who won't attend.
As our membership ages, long road trips will not be an option.
There is something wrong with that.
Evan