Sunday, October 12, 2014

Final thoughts about another year

FINAL MUSINGS
 
We are home.  It was about six hours in airports and traveling. I am so thankful we didn't drive.
 
As with every national there was good and bad.  The judging was a good as it gets. Joan not only pulled the best of the best, but she did it with grace, beauty and style.  She has been and remains one of the best judges in our sport of all time. When she was finished we all knew that everyone got a good look and a fair opinion.  I heard little negative and a great deal of congratulations.  I saw everyone together. Clearly we are family and it showed this year.
 
Now about Michel. For years I have watched him judge and marveled at how easy he makes it look. He has been in the sport for years, but to have him judge our National was a treat to watch. He had no problem bringing the best to the front, and not just what the handlers tried to show him. He has such an understanding of the standard that we may have to get him to move South to a new country. 
 
When the dogs and bitches were done, we had been treated to the best possible judging that could be offered. We owe them a thanks, since with the new system, doing all the dogs, then all the bitches they judged all day, without a break and without stopping for pictures. What they did was have the judge make a number of poses with the ribbons and take the picture, they there are going to take the pictures of the winners and  photo shop in the winners.  It will be interesting.
 
Then we come to Bart.  I don't know if you noticed, but he only made two cuts.  He found those that he thought were Select Quality and told all of them after their first cut, but said he had to limit the Selects. He did that with such a positive system that we all got to see what he thought and why. Now, his Zoot Suit, that is something else. But with a shaved head and white beard, he was quite  a figure in there.  The Grand Victor and Grand Victrix were the best of the best. The Selects show us how far we have come to improve the breed, and I was proud as hell when I looked at them in there, because I knew we are all trying to reach that same goal.
 
The location is something to see. The surface is a problem because it shows everything. Not only can you see toes dragging, you can hear them. The weak back, the fast stepping, the bad feet, were there for the world to see. Some were not pleased, but if you want to judge to the standard, that is where to do it. The temperature was perfect for the dogs, and the lighting the best we have ever had. Lots of places to walk the dogs.  I was told the location was free and that is why we were there. Then I was told we are paying for it. I do not  know the truth, but I know it is set up well, and can only improve.  The people there welcomed us and were there for any problems.
 
The show is always a National and everything that implies. Seeing some people I have missed like Steve and Christine Granger was a real surprise.  Having Kobe go Grand Victor, and I have never been shy saying how much I love that dog, was special for me.  Getting to see Jane Kerner, Pam Stoeser, Jeff and all the handlers who have grown up on me. Tim Brown is always good for a laugh, and his face was all cleared up by the end of the show. I still think of the two, Diane is the best looking, but not everyone agrees with me. Lee Brown was there, as was Don and Elizbeth Knight, and I di not have time to talk to either of them.  There never is enough time for my friends, and the days go too fast.  I get to spend time with Bob Dresher each year, and Tony.  But, for me, it is the show second, my friends first.
 
It was another great year for me. There certainly were some disappointments and certainly I had high hopes for Kierk, but getting to see him with Gloria and Cappy who loves him so much, was special.
 
As for next year, I was pleased to see who is judging, but I did hope Jamie and Bob would get a part of it.  I do not know who is the fourth judge, but Bob has done the show before the show twice, and maybe will be there next year again.
 
In the end, I had a grreat time. I love that I was able to bring the show to life for you with the Blog, and that Linda dedicated herself to filming. That was an added gift to us all. The show came alive due to Linda, and we should thank her as well as the rest of the people who worked so hard for all of us.
 
Now back to the real world, and to look forward to St. Louis in 2015.