Sunday, October 17, 2010

Everything must end

I am at the Salt Lake City airport and reflecting on another national.
 
I stopped by the Host Hotel to spend a few minutes at the board meeting only to find they went directly into a closed session. I expect with the election of the new board, this will happen less and less.  After what is one of the most relaxed national in years, it is a shame to see the board excluding the membership again. I am going to assume they are doing the right thing.
 
Barbara did a great job of judging. I have seen good judging done in the past by Ed or Dave to mention a few, but hers was as good as I have ever seen. Although at times we could not see what she was doing the handlers could. What she did is when she had picked the keepers, she gestured to the handlers where she was splitting the group. Her back at that time was to the crowd, and in bitches we couldn't see that was what she was doing. In males it was more obvious, but other than that, she did a perfect job. Anyone might want to rearrange the first three or four, but only one person was next to the dogs, looking at them within a foot or so.
 
Bob did his usual good job.  I don't think anyone noticed that last year when he did the Tuesday show, his Best Of Breed Dog went on to Grand Victor. This year, his Winner's Bitch went on to Grand Victrix.  That says a lot about his ability to find the best of the best.
 
I always love to watch Jammie judge. She has so much fun doing it, and makes it look easy. There never is any question that she is going to do a perfect job, and I saw her do it again.  Maybe her feet giving her a problem might have been reflected in her judging, but if so, she should always wear uncomfortable shoes.
 
Dan found the best dogs, from the start. His Winner's Dog was a real star and it shows by him going high Select.  I always have believed that Dan knows what the best dog is, and he picks them quickly and it is clear why he did it.
 
Live every year, the National does have to end. This year seemed more relaxed than before and it felt like the Canadian National. It might be a smaller entry, but even with that, the Quality was satisfying in that it shows we are doing something right. Everyone should be commended who worked so hard for the membership to make it so.
 
I have to mention the help Zoe and Paula gave me.  It is not easy, and would be impossible for me to do this Blog without help. The very best I ever had was Dania who never had to look in the catalog to tell me what dogs were being moved. But, I think she will never do it again, it is hard work. I have had Flower Boy do it, and he made it clear, he will never agree to announce to me.  Cindy Davis helped one year, and that seemed to be enough. I doubt Paula will be there for me to find and ask again, and I doubt Zoe feels like doing it again.  Michel is a great help as he prints out, prior to the show a list of the dogs and bitches in large type that I can read.  We need to consider the age of our membership when we print the catalog and it is time to go to 12 point type.
 
Each year I have to find someone and tell them how much fun it is to sit with me and tell me what dog or bitch is being moved.  I also may have to find a way to be higher than the floor so that I can see what is going on when the handlers get in front of me. At one point Michael Cheeks asked if I wanted him to move, and he was getting the attention of his champion. I told him what he was doing was more important. I would also prefer not to be so isolated, as I had to leave my table to talk to anyone.
 
All in all, it was another fun week with good people, great animals, and fantastic judging. I read the lineup for next year, and it is going to be the same, at least as far as judging.
 
I wonder if the video will encourage people to come to the Big Show, or if it will make it too easy to watch. I know LanaLee has some ideas to improve it. I hope she makes it known that it is available to people who might then join the club. But she sure works hard for us, and we need to thank her.  She never needed me to man a camera, and has enough help.
 
See everyone , (I hope) in Kansas with our without Toto.
 
Evan L. Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds 
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and Temperament come  together